Here is a simple recipe for Asian-style steamed crabs:
- 4 live crabs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Clean and prepare the crabs by cutting off the apron and removing the gills and the spongy matter from inside the shell. Rinse the crabs under cold water and pat them dry.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, rice wine, brown sugar, ginger, and sesame oil.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the crabs to the wok and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they turn bright orange.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture over the crabs and continue to stir-fry until the sauce has thickened and the crabs are fully coated, about 2-3 minutes more.
- Transfer the crabs to a plate and sprinkle with green onions. Serve immediately.