Here is a step-by-step guide on how to clean blue crabs:
- Remove the crab from the shell. To do this, you will need to break the crab’s shell at the hinge. You can do this by placing your hand on the very edge of the pointy shell, and simply pull up toward your body. Once the shell is broken, you can remove the crab’s body from the shell.
- Remove the gills and any other innards. The gills are located on the underside of the crab’s body. You can remove them by using a knife or a pair of scissors. Any other innards, such as the stomach and intestines, can also be removed at this time.
- Rinse the crab under cold water. This will help to remove any dirt or debris that may be on the crab.
- Split the crab in half. To do this, you will need to use a sharp knife to cut the crab in half lengthwise. Be careful not to cut yourself on the crab’s sharp claws.
- To eat – remove the meat from the shell. The meat is located in the crab’s body cavity. You can remove it by using a knife or your fingers.
- Discard the shell and any other innards. The shell and any other innards can be discarded.
Once the crab has been cleaned, you can cook it or prepare it as desired.
Watch this video for instructions on how to clean blue crabs: